Thursday 23 June 2011

Dan the egg man



I am inordinately happy to finally be reading Daniel Spoerri's An Anecdoted Topography of Chance.

I will share with you the second footnote on the first page.

"The author, off and on for about three years, has been so preoccupied with the preparation of an "eggcyclopaedia" that many of his friends call him "DAN THE EGG MAN". The book will explore the subject through such fields as advertising and alchemy, biology and business, cartoons and cookery, dancing and destiny, fables and feathers, garbage and games, happenings and hygiene, incubation and intriuge, journalism and juggling, the Kabbalah and the Koran, limericks and lapis lazuli, musicology and medicine, noodles and names, optics and orgasm, prophesy and poaching, quackery and quattrocento, radioactivity and ribaldry, sturgeon and sculpture, taboos and tattoos, vaginal stimulation and VIRGIL, warbling and WITTGENSTEIN, Yiddish yarns and yoga, zombiism and Zen, to pick a few categories at random. I myself caught the egg bug from the author, and after a month of intense and pleasurable research srrounded by my books at the Chateau de Ravenel was able to hand over to him more than 115 prime egg quotations in German, French, English, Spanish, Italian, Greek and Latin."

I would like nothing better than to spend the rest of my life researching "prime egg quotations". The only one I can think of now is that Dan managed to convince Tash that it was illegal to freeze eggs . . .

No comments: